Saturday, July 31, 2010

If you had no dad and your mom was too mentally ill to walk you down the isle on wedding day, who would?

I wonder who will walk me down the isle on my wedding day...I don't have a dad and my mom has paranoid schizophrenia, so she probably won't attend the wedding. My grandparents have all passed away and I am an only child. Who would be next in line to walk me down the isle? Any creative suggestions? What would you do? and is this something to be embarrassed about?If you had no dad and your mom was too mentally ill to walk you down the isle on wedding day, who would?
Awww...sorry to hear you lack family. But it sounds like you are very independent and have been on our own for a while. You could walk on your own if you have no one you feel close to.





Or your groom and you could walk down the aisle together.





It is nothing to be embarrassed about. It is what it is. But you can make a sad situation into something that makes you look strong and beautiful by walking alone to meet your husband or having your husband walk with you as you go forward together to say your vows.





I think both of those visions are beautiful!





On the other hand if your mom was on meds that made her well enough for one day...that would be awesome too. But I understand that might not be possible. :-(





You can have a beautiful wedding that is meaningful to you and you don`t have to pluck some random guy from an obscure part of your life (an uncle you saw when you were six for example) to do it.





Best wishes!If you had no dad and your mom was too mentally ill to walk you down the isle on wedding day, who would?
Nothing to be embarrassed about. Do you have someone special in your life that you respect and feel close to? An uncle, brother, favorite teacher, sister, cousin, etc.... It could be anyone you have a special closeness with. And if you don't have someone then there is NOTHING wrong with you walking yourself down the isle with your head heald high.





Or even make your own rules and you and your husband to be walk down the isle together!





Congratulations on your up coming wedding. I hope you have a beautiful day!
I'm walking down the asile by myself. I feel like it shows my stubborn independence. My mom and I are best friends and my dad's not a big part of my life and i was debating having my mom or dad walk me or one of my brothers but then it occured to me that I've always been fiercly independent and why should this moment be any different for me?





In this day and age, anything is possible. Best guy friend, best girl friend, brother, nephew, neice, anyone can walk you down the aisle, anyone who is meaningful to you ( =





Don't sweat it!


Good luck
You could have one of your brothers, uncles or other close family member walk you down the aisle. Are you close with an Uncle or an Aunt? It doesn't have to be a male - my mother walked me down the aisle.


Maybe you could ask your fiance's father to walk you down the aisle if you are close with him. I know that my fiance's father would have definitely done it and I would have felt very comfortable with him.


Just choose someone you are close with and makes you feel comfortable. Or, you could walk yourself down the aisle. I've seen a lot of brides do that...
Don't be embarrassed. Choose an aunt or an uncle, close friend, whatever. Hell, my friends entire family was dead and she had her boss walk her down the aisle (she'd worked for him for 10+ years and they were really close). I had another friend who had her 7 year old son walk her down the aisle.





I've also seen a lot of weddings where the bride walks herself. When you meet with the officiate, just have them omit the part about ';who gives this bride.'; Problem solved.
Lots of brides walk themselves down the isle, especially if they have been independent %26amp; on their own for a while.





To me, the idea is to have the person (male in most cases) that you lean on most for support (other than your finace) to symbolically pass that role onto your husband. You shouldn't just have anyone.





I'd walk myself proudly down the isle!
I’d do the same thing that I’ve have gladly done at my own wedding if it wouldn’t have offended my parents – I’d have walked alone. It’s perfectly normal and happens all the time. Since women are no longer “owned” there’s no need to be given away.





No, I wouldn’t be embarrassed. You’ve done nothing wrong. You can’t control the circumstances of your life; you can only make the best of them.
I agree with Jessica. You have NOTHING to be embarrassed or ashamed of!!! I am dealing with the same sort of issue, deciding what to do and how to do it. You should do what you feel is better for you, but you can always just walk by yourself or having someone walk with you that is important, whether it is a family member or friend. For me and my fiance', our friends are our family. I wish you the best of luck and a beautiful wedding day!! :-)
Do you have any aunts or uncles?


Any special family member or even the parent of one of your friends that you are really close to.





My mother in law could not attend our wedding, so we had a ';stand in'; during the candle lighting ceremony. We asked a friend of the family if she would be mom for a day and she said yes.
By no means you should feel guilty or embarrased about this. If there wasnt anyone left to walk me down the isle family wise, I would chose the next closest person that means something to me. In my case it would be my brother in law, but if you have a close family friend, you may want to think about asking them
okay...the way we are doing it is, instead of him waiting on me to walk up to him, we are either walking up the isle together OR we are going to come from opposite sides and meet in the middle. Either one symbolizes something special.





i don't think you should be embarrassed at all. i am having a private ceremony because my parents can't be in the same friggin state...no one else will be invited because my family is too selfish to put their hang ups aside (they'd never let us live it down if someone...anyone...was there and they weren't). therefore, we had to come up with something else. it was frustrating at first, but i've come to find that i am happy with it this way. i am not a 'daddy's girl' anyway and dont' feel that i am an object to be 'given away'. works for me.





hope you come up with something fantastic!
This isn't something to be embarassed about at all - it's your life.





I have 2 parents and 2 step-parents, grandparents (even a great grandparent). I chose to walk myself down the aisle. The way I see it, I am the person giving myself to my intended. I don't belong to anyone else so why should anyone else walk me down and give me away???
There are no ';rules'; about this. It's usually a man -- father if he's available, or any male relative if he isn't. So it could be an uncle or cousin, etc. But if there's really no one in your family who you'd feel comfortable with, it could be anyone who you respect -- a teacher or professor, a favorite neighbor, your boss, a great garage mechanic ... anybody. Well, maybe not the garage mechanic.
Dont be Embarrassed at all. Many women have other people walk them down the Isle all the time. When i Marry again (divorce sucks !) I am going to have my cousin walk me down. Do you have a Uncle , aunt or cousin that your close to ? Ask one of them !





Or walk alone 1/2 way , an maybe have your Groom to be meet you 1/2 way .
who inspires you to be the wonderful, amazing gal you are? who is that person?





embarrassed? you are amazing. if you walked by yourself, or if you were with someone else, how could either be embarrassing, you are incredible.





no matter what you decide, i wish you all the best. congrats.
There is nothing to be embarrassed about. If you have an uncle that you are close to or if there's a good friend of the family that could do it. But, if you can't find anyone you would like to walk with you. Just walk down by yourself, it'll fine and look fine.
I'd walk myself down the aisle.





But, if you'd like to have someone walk you down you can have a brother, sister, aunt, uncle, best friend, or pretty much anyone in your life that you're close with.





And it's nothing to be embarrassed about at all.
aunts? uncles? best friends' parents? this is nothing to be embarrassed about! my aunt was in a similar situation when she got married, and she asked my dad to walk her. he almost cried when she asked! it's an honor to be asked, and no one should be embarrassed about that!
You are who you are, and that's nothing to be embarrassed about.





I walked down the aisle with my fiance/husband. My father is dead and I dont care for the tradition overall. I've heard of the groom meeting the bride halfway down the aisle or the bride walking herself.
If you have any kids you can have them walk you down or it there is any one who is parent figure in you life. But whatever you do dont Be Embarrassed
You can certainly come down the aisle yourself, Don't be embarrassed about any of this -- everyone has a family story!
if you have a close guy friend.. or cousin maybe... or maybe your best friend considering she is pretty much the closest person to you and then she can stand behind you once you walk down the aisle.
If you want someone to walk you. It really is someone who you love and have supported you in your life. a trusted friend, family memeber (uncle, cousin). Hope this helps and good luck and congrats
No dont be embarrassed at all. Do you have anyone that your really close to?? Uncle, good friend, or anyone? If not, then walk yourself down the isle, I don't think that would look strange at all.
That's a tough one. I would say have whoever you were closest with growing up. While you Dad was not there and your Mom was sick, who helped take care of you? An Aunt and Uncle, a family friend?
Ask your fiance if his parents will let you two walk down together. I understand that some parents really want to walk their children down the aisle, but I'm sure they understand your situation.
OMGG NOO DONT BE EMBARASSED,


i dont have a dad either its k. but honestly an uncle, aunt, cousin, a guy friend anyone that you know cares about you and would be honored to do it.





best of luck :)
This is not something to be embarrassed about. You have a few options -





1) Walk alone





2) Walk with your fiance





3) Ask someone you are very close to if they will walk you down the aisle.
do you have a best guy friend? if you do him or just a best girl friend... just anyone you have a close relationship too :) and this is nothing to be embarrassed about and congrats!!!
your brother if you have one, a friend, or just yourself, I really have no Idea, i probably shouldn't be answering this question anyway.
Don't be embarrassed at all.I would ask an uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment