Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Atheists - would you comfort your terminally ill relative/friend?

- an adherent of (any) religion, with words from the holy texts, which they follow all their lives, even when you disagree with it?





I did..mom was an CatholicAtheists - would you comfort your terminally ill relative/friend?
yes, that's one of the few uses for religion - comforting those that believe in itAtheists - would you comfort your terminally ill relative/friend?
I'm not an atheist, but I can't see why any atheist would not do so since they tend to believe that ethical and kind behaviour are every bit as desirable as most religious people would also claim. The only difference is they act ethically and humanely because they believe doing so is simply the right thing to do, rather than to please a higher authority. My partner, who has been an atheist all her life, has said kaddish (Jewish prayer for the dead) for many deceased relatives and friends.
I don't have a holy text. I don't follow my religion blindly and certainly not all my life.


I would tell them not to be afraid. Death is something natural, sad for those who stay behind and lose their loved ones, but to those who pass on is a new great adventure. At least, he'll see if there is anything afterwards or not!
all my family and friends are atheist, I will not be in that situation. I am the oldest member of my family. it is logical to assume I will be the next person to die.


if I am on my death bed and someone brings that superstitious BS to me, if it is the last I will ever do, I will slap them on the head with a bed pan.
Yeah, I suppose I would. My father's health is not very good right now. We have fought all my life but if he were to go back in the hospital I would want to be there. We may not like to spend much time around each other due to political and religious differences but we do love one another. Even though I am atheist if he asked me to read the bible to him on his death bed I would do it.
Yes I would if it was comforting to them.Having a terminally ill friend or relative is not a time to stand by principles. It's not about the comforter and their ideas, it's about easing the mind of someone who needs comfort
I don't know, as I've not been in that situation. I'd really like to comfort my relative/friend, but I wouldn't want to tarnish my beliefs, either. I'd probably comfort in another way.
I think I would be more likely to talk about something from their life or something else they loved. I wouldn't feel comfortable reading from religious texts, probably more than ever in a situation like that, and I think that would show.
Yes... and no... lol





When my parents died, I helped dress them in their Temple clothing for burial, because that's what they wanted. I did not comfort them with scriptures before their death, I comforted them with love and compassion.
I comforted my Mother also using passages from John
depends on who it is and how close we are


but yes its a probability that i would 'humour' them with what they want to hear


its only respectful
I think if it gives them peace and comfort when they need it most, then it is of no harm to do so.
Hard to say.





But if I made that decision, I would lie through my teeth.
No


I'd comfort them by telling them how i feel about them
If they asked me to I would. I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to read on my own.
No, that does not show i care.

No comments:

Post a Comment